Monday, March 2, 2009

signed, sealed, & delivered to stevie

What a treat, actually I'd even say what a gift, to be able to watch Stevie Wonder honored at the White House on-line just now. He received The Library of Congress Gershwin Prize a few days ago, but I didn't have a chance to watch it until tonight. PBS has the whole special on their website -- in its entirety -- no clips to have to shuffle through, and of course no commercials. I love PBS. Really, I do. Follow the link in Michelle Obama's quote (I echo her words) to watch the special for yourself. 60 minutes that is well worth your time.
Tonight it is a huge thrill for me as we honor a man whose music and lyrics I fell in love with when I was a little girl.... It is with tremendous pride and delight that I now introduce one of the world's greatest artists, and one of my favorite people in the whole wide world, Stevie Wonder - in performance at the White House.

-- Michelle Obama
Two of my all-time favorite artists are included in the special as well: Ms. India.Arie and Paul Simon! So great. And the love that India and Paul both have for Stevie is so very evident. They get what Stevie is about. It's also fun to see Tony Bennett, Diana Krall, Mary-Mary, and one of my more recent favs: Esperanza Spalding all honor Stevie, but in truth, no one sings Stevie as well as Stevie does. It's the truth.

Here's what President Obama had to say about Stevie:
Stevie has always drawn on the incredible range of traditions in his music. From them he's created a sound that at once uniquely American, uniquely his own, and yet somehow universal. Indeed, this could be called the American tradition - artists demonstrating the courage and talent to find new harmonies in the rich and dissonant sounds of the American experience.

Tonight's prize is also personal for me. As Stevie knows, I'm a huge fan. And he has been a great supporter. When I was first discovering music, just like Michelle, it was Stevie's albums that I found and his songs became the soundtrack of my youth. Through them I found peace and inspiration, especially in difficult times.

And I think it's fair to say that had I not been a Stevie Wonder fan, Michelle might not have dated me. : ) We might not have married. The fact that we agreed on Stevie was part of the essence of our courtship.

And I'm not alone. Millions of people around the world have found similar comfort and joy in Stevie's music, and his unique capacity to find hope in struggle, and humanity in our common hardships. This gift that music affords us, transporting us from the here and now, relieving us of our burdens, even if it's just for the length of a song. And this gift given to us by artists like Stevie is something we can all share.

So, it is my extraordinary privilege to present the Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular song to an artist who has stirred our hearts and our souls for a generation, whose music knows no boundaries, an inspiration to us all. Please give it up for Mr. Stevie Wonder.

-- President Barack Obama
Finally, here's one of Stevie's best quotes from the night, while he was graciously accepting the award:
And to those in this country and throughout the world - if you can put down your spirits of hate, and open up your hearts to receive God's ever commitment of love, then we can be a united people of the world. If we can think that big, and feel that strong, then I believe, as is said to me by my God, impossible is unacceptable. We don't know the miracles that will be bestowed on us because of that. So I'm looking forward to you doing that, so that in my lifetime I can write some more songs about love, about unity, and real songs of passion.

-- Mr. Stevie Wonder
That's it. He says it. He speaks to the human condition. And ultimatley he speaks of love. Word, Stevie.

1 comment:

Rosa said...

wow...his last quote there was amazing!