Alles Liebe zum Valentinstag...
The Deutsch greeting for Valentine's Day is so much better (yes, better) than the English greeting on this day. It basically translates to, "All love at Valentine's Day". Nice, huh? I sure like it.
I've been in Europe for over two weeks now (photos & posts concerning both Taize and Büsingen are pending... I need to get on that), and it feels like home. It really does; I'm not just saying that. A new home for the next six months... It feels pretty natural to be here, but at the same time, I have to remind myself that I'm actually living here – and not just passing through.
For those who have traveled a bit in Europe (henceforth to be referred to as Europa -- the Deutsch spelling) you've no doubt experienced the "pay to pee" policy in public restrooms.
It often costs a couple Euros to use the facilities -- especially at big train stations and various tourists’ attractions. So, you always have to be prepared... because when you gotta' go, you gotta' go. Am I right? While you might think this is an absurd policy, think again.
In most of Europa, higher education is virtually free or close to free. While traveling in Deutschland this past summer, a friend asked me, "Would you rather pay for your entire college education or have to pay to use the toilet now and then?" Umm, yeah. That's not a hard question for me; no deliberating there -- especially as student loans are already staring me down and will be for the next 10 years... eek. I opt to paying for die Toilette.
So, in honor of both love and lavatories today, I present my new favorite short film for your viewing pleasure. It's a Russian film (by Konstantin Bronzit), but not to worry -- there's no dialogue. Instead it uses all non-verbals to convey the story, quite brilliantly actually. Also, take note, Lavotory Lovestory is in the running for an Oscar right now (in the Short Film category). The Academy Awards are on February 22nd -- one week away. There are a lot of good short films this year (nytimes: Oscar Shorts, Low-Hype and Sweet), but I think I'll be rooting for this one.
You can't help but smile... It is simply de-lightful.
All love to you and yours today!
{Because pouting on Valentine's Day is soo overrated. Get over it (this is me talking to myself); celebrate life; and love people. But, remember, you (still talking to myself) should celebrate life and love people every day of the year... I guess we might as well emphasize the fact of the matter today though. Right? Sure; why not.} ♥
the moon the femme the portal
3 months ago

1 comment:
Was du geschrieben hast, Marte, finde ich echt toll. Vati und ich werden den Film später schauen. Mach's gut!
Deine,
Mutti
Post a Comment